Friday, September 5, 2008

Week 1

Que onda gente, I am Everardo Alemán from San Luis Potosí in the center of México, and I am going to be writing to you during the next 15 weeks to describe my life here in DC as I participate in a Washington Center internship. I have been here only a week, but I have some cool things to tell you about already.

As a woman said in our orientation, “These fifteen weeks are full of first impressions,” but here I'll describe for you the first of all the first impressions.

The city…
I don’t know why I had the idea when I made my connecting flight from Dallas to DC that all the people in the plane were going to be wearing suits and ties and looking very formal, but when I saw normal people with normal clothes I kind of noticed that normal people lived here also, not only the people I was used to watch on TV and in movies filmed in DC jaja (that's haha in Spanish).

While my plane was landing, I got to see the Pentagon. It was kind of strange because I didn’t know it was here in DC, so it took me a few seconds after I saw the shape of the building before I realized I was looking at a site where international military decisions are made. After only a week in the U.S. capital, I already know that you can't disregard any building here--it might be the center of national nuclear policy or something like that (it actually happened to me--I found that building when I was buying some groceries). Definitely not something you see in every city.

The first weekend we went to Georgetown and somewhere else at night and there are lots of choices of different kinds of places and all prices. We also went to the National Zoo, I found it really cool (I posted a picture at the bottom) they have all kinds of animals there and it is quite big.

The housing…
My taxi got lost when we were around two blocks away from my apartment building, so I was wondering if every building I saw was going to be my new home for the next weeks. When we finally got to Grosvenor Tower I found it really cool, nothing like my residence in my last exchange which was a little white box with a half individual bed, a shower and no toilet, jaja, really, the toilet was outside my apartment. The apartment here is very nice...I’d say too nice for a student. We are supposed to suffer a little you'd think, but this is comfortable--we have all kinds of unnecessary amenities--even a small fake tree.

When you sign up for TWC housing there’s this little form you have to fill out in which you write down your preferences in your future roommates. I wrote that I wanted to be with other exchange students because it is generally easier to get along with people that are going more or less through the same process that you are--strange country, different language, new people and lifestyles. But fortunately the people from Housing and Student Life didn’t listen to me and put me with three guys from the States, and this first week has been really cool with them.

THE JOB…
The first day of work our supervisor told us a little about Voice of America. He explained to us that was a part of the government and was in charge of broadcasting news worldwide. He told us the areas we were going to be working in…Marketing, Latin America Division (me and another Mexican girl) and YouTube. They have big projects and are reporting news through the internet in an innovative way, which is amazing--and I am going to be a part of it. Yeahhhhh.

We did a lot of paperwork the first two days and they took all of our fingerprints, they almost took my toe prints jaja.

The other interns are really cool; there are four of us in the Internet Division--a Chinese girl, a Mexican girl, a guy from here in the States and me, plus another guy from South Korea in the IT Division and one girl also from here in TV. We all have really great things to do. I look forward to the next weeks and to all that we will be accomplishing.

I’ll be writing next week, but if you have any questions feel free to comment. Cya...

Oh and here are some pictures of the week.






No comments: