Thursday, December 11, 2008

Portfolio

Finally my portfolio is done. This last week, I finished it and gave it to my program advisor. The portfolio is the collection of all the assignments TWC gives you throughout the semester.

Some assignments are hard and boring sometimes, but at the end I liked the result. When I saw it ready I felt quite good and even proud. This portfolio includes a lot of reflections, analyses and reviews, samples of what you did in your internship, etc.

My advice for all the ones that are coming next semester: do not leave things for the last minute. Try to make your civic engagement on time, have all your assignments checked, do the readings you need for the class in case you have any, and try to do everything in advance because you never know if a trip, event or more work is coming and then you have no time to finish it all.

Also do all the sightseeing you need to do. Every weekend visit a museum, go to Old Town Alexandria, Georgetown, everything that needs to be seen and done in DC before leaving. You don’t want to be like me in that I have three days to do my Christmas shopping, make my travel arrangements, deep clean my apartment and visit a lot of places that I missed.

Two of my roommates are leaving tomorrow. It's kind of hard saying good-bye to all my friends, because they have been my family for these months, but it is good that now I have a few houses to crash at in different states of the US, of Mexico and in other countries like China and Korea. Now I just need the money to visit them, but that will be easy after I become president of Mexico in a few years.

Today is my last day at Voice of America. Mike, our supervisor, is going to take us for a good-bye lunch. It was a really good experience to work here. I got a close look of how the news works from inside. I got to see radio shows, television shows, how they edit video packages for the programs, interviews, how they analyze consumer trends, etc.

I learned a lot from Voice of America, and besides the practical things I learned, I know now how the formal work environment is in a big company, and I think now I am more prepared for a job after graduating.

Here are some pictures from a U.S. Capitol tour I took last Monday.


No comments: