Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Hot, flat and crowded

Coldplay is one of those groups that any song they have, I know it. We heard they were coming and after hesitating a little because of the price we bought the tickets (I had to sacrifice one week of food jaja). The concert is going to be on October 31st so we’ll get costumes for the concert jaja. When we went to buy the tickets Jonathan, a friend from Alaska, didn’t read his iPhone map well and we went the wrong direction and ran into a Chinese festival. I don’t know exactly what it was but it was really cool; they had Chinese music, those dragons with people inside and also some musical and martial arts demonstrations. That is what I like a lot about this city; there are always things happening everywhere.

Everyone has a dream job--the job that he or she would like to do the most after graduating. Mine would be working for National Geographic Magazine (taking pictures for them and work in their marketing department). One of my roommates casually works for National Geographic Channel, I already told him to set me up a meeting just to see the offices, which would be really cool. I am going to have my business cards and resume ready just in case... I really like that magazine, great pictures, great articles about places, history and other subjects of general interest, and it promotes caring about the environment and stuff like that.

On Monday Kenny, a guy that works with me, and I went to the book launch “Hot, Flat and Crowded” byThomas Friedman. The book is about global warming and all that needs to be changed here in the US so everybody can follow their lead. I found that idea a little bit big headed but also kind of true. It would be very good if this country, having all the resources that they have, would make a big step in helping the environment. And as Friedman said there is no revolution without people hurt, in this case some businesses need to stop what they're doing or change it drastically.

Yesterday Lu Lu, a Chinese girl that works here in VOA along with me got tickets to a gallery where you can see the Senate discussing and voting. Yesterday they were voting for the bailout proposal, so all the senators had to be there. A friend got the idea that he could talk to his senator (from Iowa) and get tickets too. At the end, we got tickets and went to the Capitol. It was very, very cool, We got to see Hilary Clinton, Joe Biden, Barack Obama and John McCain, and a bunch of people I didn’t know but the people from the States were exited to see. We were sitting for 5 hours but it was worth it when we saw Obama talking and later everybody voting. I was sort of strange because it is literally a gallery where you see the office from the top, like some kind of fish tank where you are just sitting watching in silence what they do.

Today we went to the Pentagon, and it was a different experience. When you get off the Metro you can see all the security that they have. Military officers with rifles all around the place. You have to go through metal detectors and more to get inside. Once we were through security, they took us to a small tour in some hallways and they explained us briefly what they do there and how they are organized. You can’t really see much, but just to be there is really cool.

Here is Loredana, a girl from Venezuela and me giving a press conference in the Pentagon... Yeah, right.

Today is Thursday and it's the day of the Sarah Palin and Joe Biden debate. We are planning to go the Front Page (our happy hour Thursday bar) and then go see the debate somewhere else not as loud. It is going to be really cool; generally I am interested in politics, but here I am even more so.

It has been already half of the term. I really don’t want it to end, but I guess I have to start real work and finish my school someday jaja.

No comments: