Thursday, October 9, 2008

Six Weeks Done...

In VOA I work in the Internet department, a Mexican friend works in the Latin American division, and on the day of elections they are going to be here in the office all day long getting news, doing articles and interviews. They invited me to join them for that day. I said yes, since I think it is going to be a different experience being around the National Mall asking people what they think about the candidates and seeing all the action from a news channel. Also this Monday my program (Mass Communication) had a scheduled visit to VOA so I took the tour, which I had taken before, through the studios and other parts of the building. It was interesting and a little awkward because I knew some of the people that were passing by and there I was wearing my earphones taking a tour of my own workplace.

That same day we had one of the Presidential Lecture Series, which are some conferences where all the particpants in TWC gather to listen to important people talking. This Monday Rep. James Clyburn talked to us. He is the majority whip of the House of Representatives… I still don’t know very well what that means. The conference was interesting even though I kept getting lost because some of the things I couldn’t understand very well because of his accent; it was a little different than the one I am used to. He talked about how important the internship was for us and at the end when he answered questions he started talking about war and things like that--also interesting.

I haven’t started my civic engagement project yet, but I joined this organization called Greater DC Cares. They have a lot of events of different kinds like helping the environmental , animals, homeless people and more. I was watching their calendar and I see a lot of cool things we can do. The problem here is the time; there is not much spare time, especially now when midterm examinations are coming and also some other projects of The Washington Center.

Last Sunday we went to a hockey game. I was very cool; the game was Washington Capitals vs. Boston Bruins. Washington lost, but it was a good game. In the brake of the game there were some kids of around 9 years old that were playing hockey. It was funny to watch because they all looked like ants following the puck and then it looked like bowling because when one fell they all started to fall too. The game was in the Verizon Center, which is where the Coldplay concert is going to take place in a few weeks, it is a very cool place and even from the cheapest seats you can see very well jaja.

During the week we got an email inviting us to a trip to Atlantic City this Saturday, there were only fifty some places so we had to RSVP fast. We went and paid and now we are going to Atlantic City on Saturday. I really don’t have any money to gamble but I still want to see the place. I just hope I don’t end up eating rice for the rest of the semester because I gambled.

Loredana, a friend from Venezuela, invited us to her place last week. She lives here with her cousin; she has a really good place there. You can see the Capitol and Washington Monument among other things from her rooftop. We hung out there by the pool for some time looking at the city.

No comments: