Friday, October 24, 2008

One Thing Leads to Another

It's always like that--one opportunity leads you to the next one. The thing is always to keep looking. I tell you this because pretty much all I have done so far related to TWC and my life in general has been like that. One day I was talking with a friend about doing something different for the weekend and the three days later we were skydiving in the mountains.

I got here to DC because one day that I was checking my school e-mail back in Mexico I read about an opportunity to do internships in Washington DC, there were only a handful of openings available for all the campuses of my school, so I really did not think I would get it, but I just sent my resume and some other papers anyway, and well, here I am.

Same thing has happened in my work; I went to another division of my agency one day, started talking to someone that spoke Spanish also, and next thing I know, I am going to be working in that person's division a few days a week doing very interesting things.

You never know what the next person you talk to can do for you one day. I do not mean that you should be expecting to get something from everyone all the time, but your goal should be to meet a lot of people and be open to new possibilities all the time.

This last weekend, I finally started my civic engagement project. I intended to do something related to immigration because that is what I signed up for at the beginning of the term, but as I posted earlier, I joined the organization DC Cares which gives you a calendar of all the activities at which you can volunteer during the semester. I saw the chance to help kids with disabilities to play sports Saturday morning with an organization called KEEN DC Sports and I took it. To be honest, I thought it might be very challenging for me because sometimes I'm not very patient. When we got there they told us that we were going to get one kid and we would have to help him exercise. I got a kid that had a lot of energy, so I was running around the gym watching to make sure he didn’t fall the whole time. I was kind of scared at the beginning because if he hurt himself it would have been my fault, but in the end I figured out more or less how to calm him down a little bit and get him to shoot some hoops with a basketball.

Here is Lu Lu, she was also volunteering in KEEN as well, but helping the kids with music.



After I finished volunteering I went to the Natural History Museum. It was very cool, but the bad thing is that the kids had drained all the energy from us and we had to leave, so I’ll be going back soon when I'm not so tired.

Grosvenor Tower is sort of far from everything. We have the best apartments of all the residences from what I have seen, but we are between 40 minutes by Metro away from the heart of DC. This can be boring sometimes, but the good thing is that you have some forced time to read while going to work. At this point, I already read 2 books in English. This is the first time that I've finished a book in English, and I can say that the Metro helped a little jaja.

I'll leave you with some pictures of the day trip that TWC organized to Atlantic City.


No comments: